MRef documentation for extension methods results in GUID links

Topics: Developer Forum
May 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM

This issue has also been noticed on

It looks like the vs2010 template used for remarks about usage of extension methods uses a conceptual link that cannot be resolved.

In fact, looking for the GUIDs (b8020aae-374d-46a9-bcb7-8cc2390b93b6 for C#) online yields several results, including on the MSDN website, e.g.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I could tweak the template found in the Sandcastle installation directory, but would prefer the links to work in the first place :-).

May 15, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I replaced the conceptual links with HTML links in the other presentation styles.  I did it in the VS2010 style at one point but must have lost them in an update at some point so I'll go back and do it again.  You can find the same items in the VS2005 content files (with slightly different IDs) and replace the item content with the content from the VS2005 items to get rid of the conceptual links.  Doing it this way was easier than trying to set up conceptual topics or some way of resolving them to the online topics at build time.

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Hey Eric.  Was this ever incorporated into the current Sandcastle release?

I am running the latest release and I see the same issue.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I haven't issued another release yet so the VS2010 resource items haven't been updated yet.  It's easy enough to do if you want to fix them for the time being.  Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Sandcastle\Presentation\VS2010\reference_content.xml and search it for "conceptualLink" to find the items that need updating.  Locate the matching item from the VS2005 presentation style file reference_content.xml.  The item names are a little different but searching for the main part of the item name will help you find them (i.e ExtensionUsageText as opposed to text_extensionUsage).  Once found, replace the content of the element in the VS2010 file with that of the VS2005 file element.