<Inheritdoc/> with 2 Assemblies

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
May 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Edited May 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I just have a quick question regarding <inheritdoc/> tag in combination with MSHelpViewer.

I have an assembly with interfaces. And another assembly with implementations.
For the time being it seems, that I have to put both assemblies into the "Documentation source" within one and the same SHFB-Project. Otherwise no Comments from the interface will be found.

Is there a possibility to create one single help only for the Interface-Assembly and - in a different SHFB-Project - another single help just for the implementation? I tried to put the base-assembly into "References" but this seems not helpful.

I agree, with just 2 assemblies the question sounds weird, but this is just an example. In reality I would have dozends of assemblies for different applications and therefore I would like to generate seperated MS Help-Files.

Any reply would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Jens

Edit:

Just played a bit longer with the Plug-Ins. It seems that "Additional Reference Links" does the job, as long as I'm referring to the SHFB-Project of the Interface-Library.

Can someone confirm that this is the best practice?

Coordinator
May 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM

You might be able to get by with just adding the XML comments file from the interface library as a documentation source so that the tool can find the inherited documentation.  However, the additional reference links plug-in will allow help links between help files to work when producing Help 2 or MS Help Viewer Output as it will add the necessary reflection data needed to properly create such links.  As such, it is the better choice.

Eric

May 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM

To add just the XMl-File as a documentation source is a really good idea. I will try this tomorrow.

I would prefer this, simply because I can see all involved Assemblies (or XML-Files) with just one view,
instead of opening another window with a kind of depdency. Will report tomorrow, whether it works or not.
Thank you,

Jens

May 10, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Works like a charm :)

After you added the XML-File to "documentation source" the DLL will be added automatically, BUT can be removed again from the SHFB-Interface,
so that just the XML will stay there. Everything is fine then.

Thank's again and keep up the really good work. It's quite an impressive Tool.