I don't get it. Where is it?

Topics: Developer Forum
Apr 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I've been a long-time user of Sandcastle and SHFB. However, after a workstation re-build, I went to re-install. I downloaded the latest from this site.

I went through the wizard, installed everything with no errors. But, there isn't a GUI for SHFB anymore? There is a "sample" .exe, which has just a couple of features. What happenned to the regular window (pictured here: http://www.ewoodruff.us/shfbdocs/Index.aspx?topic=html/8e3f8757-0ef3-4772-bb2f-5d7ae57e50da.htm)

I've spent just about an hour pouring over the documentation and discussion sections of this site, and apperently I'm the only one that is lost.

Where is the actual executable that kicks off the actual GUI? It doesn't seem to be on my hard drive?

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Since I've started patching and distributing the full Sandcastle release including the tools, I gave Sandcastle a presence on the Program Files menu, the lack of which has been a complaint in the past.  As such, there is now a Sandcastle and a Sandcastle Help File Builder entry on the Program Files menu.  SHFB is still there in the second one.  If you downloaded Sandcastle from the Sandcastle Styles site, then you did only get Sandcastle.  SHFB is only distributed here so it must be downloaded from here (it includes Sandcastle as well).  If you got an error while starting the guided installer, it probably did not load the installer pages for SHFB.  This is caused by the ZIP file you downloaded being blocked.  Unblock it using its file properties, unzip it again, and run the guided installer.  You should see the SHFB options at the end of the list of tasks.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Yeah, that was it.

On a second machine, I did a Save As, then right-clicked the file and chose "Unblock". THEN when I ran it, I saw some additional steps in the guided installer.

Sheesh, this was driving me crazy, thanks Eric!