XML Documentation file is being deleted

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:51 PM
I've been building my help project with the output set to HtmlHelp 1.x and everthing has been working as expected.  Today I changed the HelpFileFormat from HtmlHelp 1.x to Website.  It works (the web pages are correctly generated) but at the end of compiling the help docs the XML documentation file the project uses gets deleted.  I've tried changing some of the settings (like changing the CleanIntermediates parameter from True to False) but the XML documention file keeps getting deleted.

Is this a known issue?  Is there any way to set up the project so the file doesn;t get deleted?

Thanks,

Jeff
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2008 at 1:47 AM
If you're sending the XML comments file to the same folder as the website, you need to put it somewhere else.  The web build purges all files and folders in the output folder before copying the new content to it.

Eric
Aug 15, 2008 at 8:22 PM
Thanks,

I had a suspicion that was what was happening.  Is there any way to turn off the pre-copy purge?

Thanks,

Jeff
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2008 at 11:39 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2008 at 11:40 PM

No, it's by design.  It gets rid of any stuff that has been removed from the project so that it doesn't accumulate over time as you modify the project and rebuild it.

Eric