Search and replace in the Conceptual Content Designer

Jul 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM
Edited Jul 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM
Hi,

It's really a great tool that you delivered with this Conceptual Content Designer !
It's full of such nice features that helps in typing conceptual content: the search for code entities, the html encoding, the preview.. I love them as they facilitate my technical writing job!

Would it be possible in a future release to add a text "search & replace" (or at least the search) in the document editor panel ? Possibly a search "in the current open file" and/or "in all the open documents" and/or "in all documents" (May I ask more ? :) ex.: a regular expression based "search & replace")...

I had recently to search and replace some characters in some conceptual topics and I had to do it with an external tools (notepadd++); not a big deal actually...

Valéry.
Coordinator
Jul 18, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I'm using the ICSharpCode.TextEditor so it's possible.  The problem is trying to find out how to do it.  There isn't much documentation that I could find and I couldn't find a quick way of doing it.  It seemed to be implemented via some sort of plug-in in the SharpDevelop IDE.  This is one of the reasons I'm moving toward Visual Studio integration.  Stuff like search and replace is already built in.  VS2008 also has a free standalone shell that I believe can be used with integration packages.  It's likely that the existing standalone editor will remain as it is and for more advanced features, the shell or VS and the VSPackage will be the better solution.

Eric

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:03 PM
Thx for your answer !

I will have a look on the shell's functionalities the next time I need to do this kind of change (or wait for the integration with VS :o)

Valéry.
Sep 19, 2008 at 2:34 PM
I'd like to search and replace in the XML comments -- not sure if this is the place to ask.

Say we decide on "SQL" as the approved spelling for our publications,  but "sql" appears in the names of objects or methods or strings, and sometimes in the XML comments. Is there a way to change the XML comments while preserving the code?

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2008 at 3:13 PM

You might be able to do that in Visual Studio using the Edit | Find and Replace | Replace in Files option using a regular expression to limit it to comments.  Another option might be to look for a spellchecker add-in that spellchecks the comments.  I'm pretty sure there are a couple out there.

Eric