Shared content for footer

Topics: User Forum
Jul 15, 2008 at 7:55 PM
Hello
I am using Sandcastle Builder V 1.7.0.0 with the latest SandCastle build (May2008) I think
I want to have a central xml where I keep all shared text for the different projects I'm working on (footer and header information for example) so my Builder projects can reference this xml.

How can I do this? I searched the help file for Sandcastle builder but I can't seem to do this. I could do this using a custom msbuild step but I would prefer keeping everything inside the builder framework.

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2008 at 8:08 PM

If building from the command line, you could maintain a response file with command line options used to specify the common settings.  There currently isn't a way to have shared project settings in an XML file.  This may be possible in a future release as I am converting the project format to use an MSBuild project file.

Eric

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:16 PM
I think for now what I'll do is simply replace the text inside the .shfb file

But for example I used to have

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<content xml:space="preserve" xmlns:MSHelp="http://msdn.microsoft.com/mshelp">
<!-- ****************************************************** -->
<!-- Content that should be modified to update the CHM file -->
<!-- ****************************************************** -->
      <!-- footer -->
    <item id="footer"><div id="footer" style="margin-right: 0px; font-size: 7pt;"><include item="copyright"/>Software release 6.0</div></item>
    <item id="comments"></item>
    <!-- To format the copyright HREF and/or copyright text into a message of
         your choosing, you can specify @HtmlEncCopyrightHref and/or
         @HtmlEncCopyrightText in braces -->
    <item id="copyright"><p/>Copyright 2008 My Company. <a href='http://www.My company'>www.c.com</a><p/></item>
</content>

That would generate HTML code that was interpreted by the CHM file. Now if copy this to the Footer text property it copies it directly in text form. How can i tell it to use HTML encoding?

Thanks
Jul 15, 2008 at 9:51 PM
I figured it out, only the Footer text property is HTML encoded

Thanks and great tool