More accurate presentation styles wanted

Topics: User Forum
Jun 24, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Neither of the two presentation styles available when I run SHFB (1.7.0.0 with separate styles pack installed -- I don't see the Hana style) are close to what appears on MSDN.  We are generating 1.x help (CHM).

In particular, we don't care for the following differences, particularly in the prototype style:

1. A tab control with separate tabs for each member type (and one for all members)
  2. Checkboxes to show/hide members by visibility, scope, implementation and inheritance
  3. Method names with parenthesis and parameter lists instead of one link per overload group

We just want it to get generated like on MSDN.  The first time we saw the tab control and checkboxes, we thought they were a "cool" feature, but they turned out to be unnatural to use and make it harder to find stuff.  From what I can remember, MSDN has always put all members, separated by type, on the same page, grouped overloads into one link, and not shown method parameter lists in the method lists.  Why wouldn't there be a presentation style that works like this?

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2008 at 8:46 PM

Sandcastle comes with three styles: VS2005 which is probably about as close as you can get right now to the MSDN style, Prototype which was experimental, and Hana which is a sort of blend of the VS2005 and Prototype styles (more the latter than the former) and is also experimental.  A few people have customized the existing styles and the Sandcastle Styles project was created partly as a place to consolidate and release such modifications but so far, nobody has published any.  It would appear that Microsoft uses a variation on the VS2005 style internally.  Your best bet may be to contact Anand to see if there are plans to release a style that more closely matches MSDN or add what they use interally as a style to a future release of Sandcastle.

Eric

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:35 PM
Thanks for your prompt response, Eric.  I'll try contacting Anand.

We used to be able to use the vs2005 style, but it became even more memory intensive in the last half year or so, and we can no longer use it.  Our SHFB project has about 2100 types and 22000 members, and the process uses over 2Gb of memory.  It runs for several hours and then aborts with some low level exception.  When we use the prototype style, it uses a lot let memory and finishes in 40 minutes.