No parameters in method and class documentation

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Jun 17, 2008 at 12:51 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM
Questions:

1.  I have a method with no parameters and I'm getting this result in the chm file for this method:

[Missing <param> documentation for "disposing"]

what should I do so I dont see this?  should I put in empty parameter tags?  can you show the syntax for this?

2.  I am seeing this at the top of my class documentation:

[Missing <summary> documentation for T:ABC.WebServices.ThisIsTheClassName]

where do I put the summary for this?

That's all for now, I might make some other posts as I get stumped since I'm still getting a feel for how to use HFB.
Thanks for your help, this is a great interface.

3.  inside a region tag I have a summary tag that has a squiggly line warning when you hover over it says:
"xml comment is not placed on a valid language element"
which does not make sense to me because its a public method, it should be a valid element
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2008 at 3:11 PM
If you're seeing a "missing <param>" message, the method must have a parameter.  Take a look at the Syntax section in the topic to see any parameters in the method declaration.  If you didn't write the method, perhaps its an inherited overload from a base class.  Regarding the "missing <summary>" for the type, just add a <summary> XML comment to the class itself:
/// <summary>
/// Class description
/// </summary>
public class ThisIsTheClassName
{
}

If you don't care to see the missing doc messages, use the project properties in the "Show Missing Tags" category to turn off the ones you don't want to see by setting them to False.

Regarding #3, can you post the affected section of code?

Eric

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:47 PM

hey Eric,

thanks for the quick response.

about number 3, i just deleted the comments and re-formed them and now i'm not seeing the squiggly lines so I was probably missing some open or closing elements, something like that.