Drawbridge integration help

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jun 4, 2008 at 7:11 PM
I can't seem to be able to modify the SHFB *.config files to properly integrate drawbridge.

Does anyone have a SHFB config file that works for the Drawbridge sample?

I've modified the vs2005.config file located w/ the SHFB\Templates folder to include the following

<component  id="Drawbridge Class Diagram Generator"
       type="CastleApps.Drawbridge.Component.DrawbridgeComponent"
       assembly="C:\Program Files\CastleApps\Drawbridge\bin\Component.dll" xml:space="preserve">
         <description>Drawbridge allows Visual Studio class diagrams to be inserted anywhere in your API documentation using simple image tags inside your XML code comments.</description>
         <insert placement="after" type="Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.TransformComponent" />
         <!-- Currently doesn't support custom configuration -->
         <!-- configureMethod name="ConfigureComponent" / -->
         <defaultConfiguration>
             <function value="Replace" />
             <output path="Output" />
             <images path="Images" />
      <exclude tables="true" />
             <!-- Edit this to point to your project's code folder -->
             <code path="C:\Program Files\CastleApps\Drawbridge\DrawbridgeComponentSample" />
             <preworkfolder path="C:\Program Files\CastleApps\Drawbridge\DrawbridgeComponentSample\prework" />         
         </defaultConfiguration>
     </component>
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2008 at 9:10 PM
Edited Jun 4, 2008 at 9:11 PM
You should not modify the SHFB template files!  SHFB will locate and allow you to select custom build components if you place them in the .\BuildComponents folder under the main SHFB installation folder.  You also need to create a .config file that describes the component so that SHFB knows what to do with it.  You can find that information in the help file.  Once done, you can use the ComponentConfigurations project property to add and configure the component.

However, unless the component has been rebuild for the May 2008 release of Sandcastle, it probably won't work as it needs to be built against the lastest Sandcastle release.  You should contact the creator of the component to see if they have an up-to-date release and a config file that you can use.

Eric
Sep 21, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I'm a little disappointed that the most recent version of Drawbridge is 2.1.3 dated 26 Feb 2008, it's closed source, binary only, from a one-man operation (no offense), and if I wanted validation that it's a good trustworthy tool, I would have found it here.  I guess I will use the web export feature of the powertoys or maybe write my own converter.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:39 PM
I'm trying to use Drawbridge to embed Visual Studio 2008 class diagrams in my Sandcastle .chm file, but I think Drawbridge must have been designed for an older version of Sandcastle. Drawbridge installs its config file to C:\Program Files\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\BuildComponents, which isn't part of Sandcastle's path (it's not in the EWSoftware folder, and there is no BuildComponents folder where Sandcastle is installed).
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Unfortunately, Drawbridge appears to be dead project.  You could try containing the developer to see if they have a more recent version or plan to support it.  It's possible you can get it to work with the current release of Sandcastle by creating a BuildAssembler.exe.config file containing assembly binding redirection elements so that it uses the latest Sandcastle assemblies.  See the Special Folder Locations topic for information on where to place custom third party build components for the latest SHFB release.

Eric

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Hi!

Tell me please where I can download the Drawbridge, or something similar in functionality?

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2011 at 4:08 PM

As noted above, the project appeared to be dead for a long time.  The only link I have to it appears to be dead now too so it's no longer available.  I'm not aware of anything similar.

Eric

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I just traced the original developer (I think) using the wayback machine. The site they referenced was mgharney.com, which still seems to be up.
I asked whether he/she/they would be willing to upgrade the software or would be willing to release the source.
How could would that be after all these years?
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
As I recall, the reason the source code wasn't released in the first place was that the tool used a commercial product to do the image rendering or some part of the process. The license permitted the release of the runtime end result but not the code. Assuming they could release just the source unrelated to the commercial product and you could find something equivalent to replace it for the functionality it provided, rebuilding it using the latest release of Sandcastle shouldn't be an issue. Not much has changed with regard to the base component classes that would affect derived components beyond how the Dispose() method is implemented.

Eric