Sandcastle VSPackage

Jun 4, 2008 at 8:42 AM
Edited Jun 4, 2008 at 8:48 AM
Hi Eric,

and hi to the rest of the documenting world. My idea is to integrate the sandcastle as a true package into the visual studio containing things like

• a language service for the maml
  • compiler service for the sandcastle itself
  • a component service for the custom build components
  • designer for the maml
  • designer for the sourcedocumentation like in helpstudio
  •  ... and many more.
There is much community support out there for the sandcastle. How about creating one big project integration a new, true VSpackage getting a out the really best things of the docu-world.
Paul Selormey is investigation much in this area with MAML, superb. Dave has a plan to creat a package. you Eric too.

So how about the idea to integrate it into one big package concerning sandcastle, and the integration? I would like to contribute in such a architecture.
What do you thin about? Every one of us would be able to create a part of it using the service structure of the VS2008 Shell. We could also release a standalone integration with the isolated shell for users only having the Express Edition, or standalone users, only writing documentation without beeing able to code.

Sandcastle Assist is aiming at supporting SHFB and DocProject …
How about coordinating a project working together and benefit from each other? An open architecture.

Cheers,
Rainer
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2008 at 8:20 PM
Certain parts could probably be reused such as the editor but the project formats and build engines used by SHFB and DocProject are completely different and I don't think there's much that could be shared in that area.  I'm not sure you'd need a language service for MAML since it's just XML and I think a basic XML editor with the built-in schema IntelliSense would probably work just fine.  Extensions could be added to allow drag an drop of topics, images, code entities, etc to create links though like the editor in SHFB right now.

Eric
Jun 4, 2008 at 9:19 PM
From the coders point of you, you'll shure be right. but what about designers and persons not so familliar with Coding. Would like to have an editor which i can put into the isolated shell ... as I emailed you I would like to start a prototype in a VSpackage for learning it. It would be very helpfull if you can send me a simple diagramm of the core functions of shfb.

I would like to contrib and refactor the shfb to a service driven package being consumed by VS oder other IDEs.

How about that option?
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2008 at 2:01 AM
Replied via e-mail.

Eric