Excluding API from TOC

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Is it possible to include Document Sources without them appearing in the TOC of the API? 

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:09 PM

If you're intent is to remove them completely from the help file so that they don't appear anywhere, you can us the ApiFilter project property to specify which members or classes to removed.  If you still want them included in the help file, there's a Table of Content Exclusion plug-in that you can add to the PlugInConfigurations project property.  It looks for <tocexclude /> tags in the XML comments of the documentation sources and removes those members from the table of content only.  They are still listed in the class members pages and can be reached from there but won't appear in the TOC.  You would need to add the <tocexclude /> tag to all affected members/classes in your code.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I probably should have provided a more complete description of my situation.  I'm building my help for the MS Help Viewer. 

What I have is a core library which contains a doc project and a number of application components (separate studio solutions); each itself a library which contains its own doc project.  Many of the classes in the components are derived from the classes in the core library and to resolve the links to the core library doc, it appears I have to include the doc sources from the core; however I don't want the core namespaces listed in the component toc. 

These components will be developed over time, and ideally I would be able to manage the individual doc projects as packages in a master .msha file, but I have to admit, I'm not sure whether this is feasible, or would produce the desired effect.  In the end, I'd like to have a single toc root in the Viewer with the core library listed underneath and be able to add component packages (with links to the core) as they are developed....

• My Application
    • My Core Library
      • Conceptual Content
      • Core API
    • Component 1
      • Conceptual Content
      • Component 1 API
    • Component 2
      • Conceptual Content
      • Component 2 API

Is this possible?

Thanks so much for a great product and all the time you devote to its development and support,

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM

You can use the Additional Reference Links plug-in in each project to create links to the other help files.  Add the plug-in to each project and configure it by adding each of the other projects to the plug-in's configuration.  The default help viewer link type is Id in the plug-in so that shouldn't need any changes.  When you build the projects, the plug-in generates the necessary information to use when creating the links to the other files' topics.

There are various options for parenting the content from each help file within MS Help Viewer.  See the Content Placement Options topic for more information.

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I had seen the doc on Additional Reference Links, but the doc says...

This plug-in is used to add additional reference link targets to the Reflection Index Data and Resolve Reference Links build components so that index links can be created to other third party help topics in a Help 2 collection or to additional online MSDN content. Index links are only used by MS Help 2 files.

Since I am not using MS Help 2 files, I assumed it wouldn't be appropriate, so thanks for the tip.  It's working perfectly.  Btw - is there anyway to achieve the same results in a chm?

And I'm having trouble finding documentation on how to expose my content from an online source (for initial inclusion and updates). 

Thanks again,

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I think I need to update the plug-in docs to reflects its relevance to MS Help Viewer too.  Regarding Help 1 files, I think there are ways to merge them as I recall but it involves the use of third party tools.  Regarding the last question, are you referring to downloading MS Help Viewer content off the web?  That's probably a question better asked in the MSDN Dev Docs forum.  That may require the use of signed files.  If that's the case, I do have some info somebody e-mailed me detailing the necessary steps to create signed content files.  Let me know if you need it.