Two Help Projects Sharing API

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I have two Help projects.  The chm files work fine; however when both are installed in the MS Help Viewer 1.1, the second one installed displays the API root of the first (although it uses its own title in the TOC).  Under each of the TOC sections, all the namespaces for each Help project are listed together; one from the first and then one from the second.  If either is installed without the other, the TOC is correct.  At one time, they were part of a single Help project.

Is it possible there is a cache I need to get rid of?

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Are you using the RootNamespaceContainer option?  If so, it's known issue with Sandcastle and the MS Help Viewer format.  When the RootNamespaceContainer property is set to true it generates a root namespace page with a hard-coded R:Project ID which violates the unique ID rule for MS Help Viewer.  There's an open work item to look into a fix or a workaround but I haven't gotten to it yet.  You might be able to work around it by using a content layout file.  Add a topic to it and set the MS Help Viewer Root Container option on the page.  That will parent all of the content for the help file under that root node.

Eric

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up; using a content layout file works fine, other than the fact it must be maintained manually.  If you ever do get around to figuring out a fix, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve