Missing Images in Complied Help File

Topics: User Forum
Dec 8, 2006 at 4:58 PM
In a compiled help file: What might be the possible reason(s) the little expand/collapse graphic images just before the topic captions do not appear, instead showing the broken image "X" icon? Odd thing is I have two projects and one looks fine while the other does not. I can see where there might be some mis-configuration with the "bad" project but I have compared the property settings for both projects item by item and they are the same value. Other odd thing is the little purple book pics in the TOC do show up OK.
Coordinator
Dec 8, 2006 at 8:09 PM
Check the log file to see if they got copied. Also, you can set the CleanIntermediates property to false to keep the working files. Do a build and see if all of the expected files are in the Working\Output folder.

Eric
Dec 13, 2006 at 4:30 PM
I am having the exact same issue; at first I thought it was because I had changed the path of the output folder but then I have been getting the error randomly; sometimes I get the icons and sometimes I don't.

this is what I get on the log file:

-------------------------------
Generating help project file...
-------------------------------
Compiling the help file...
C:\Documents and Settings\LazaroP\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\CBS\CBS.Help\Help\Working\Build1xHelpFile.bat
Microsoft HTML Help Compiler 4.74.8702

Compiling c:\Documents and Settings\LazaroP\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\CBS\CBS.Help\Help\Working\Output\Documentation.chm

HHC3002: Warning: CookieDataStore.js : The HTML tag "options" is missing a closing angle bracket.

HHC3002: Warning: ElementCollection.js : The HTML tag "bodies" is missing a closing angle bracket.

HHC3002: Warning: LanguageFilter.js : The HTML tag "this" is missing a closing angle bracket.

HHC3002: Warning: StyleUtilities.js : The HTML tag "sheets" is missing a closing angle bracket.

HHC3004: Warning: alert_caution.gif : The HTML tag ").:H',NA1=B$6(5C7+PK&L/ ;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).

HHC3004: Warning: alert_security.gif : The HTML tag "í›à“ál¥¸™l¢AÒ(X2L‚°„;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).

HHC3004: Warning: Caution.gif : The HTML tag ").:H',NA1=B$6(5C7+PK&L/ ;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).

HHC3002: Warning: CFW.gif : The HTML tag "T" is missing a closing angle bracket.

HHC3004: Warning: collapse_all.gif : The HTML tag "&£Ý‘l8FAêÓñ´Öˆd4­r€¨Ä~„;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).

HHC3002: Warning: copycode.gif : The HTML tag "c" is missing a closing angle bracket.

HHC3004: Warning: privclass.gif : The HTML tag "³5cµdvgwèâÑðÀ4ž´^p‰žxUhíµdvŽOb{õá†ÿÿÿ!ùO,..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).

HHC3004: Warning: privdelicate.gif : The HTML tag "¡ÚnÛH[u·ÁÒ¦²Ç§±ÇØmÙÉÐÝÛßç©Eªëîóêìñž°J^wòóö˜§¼»ÃÔô..." is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).

HHC3004: Warning: privdelicate.gif : The HTML tag "0`@
ª|©z¥I.ô͐LjH"?@`…΂r@D$E 
Dec 13, 2006 at 4:50 PM
the warnings about missing brackets may be due to this js kind of line

for(var i=0; i<sheets.length;i++) {...

HHC3002: Warning: StyleUtilities.js : The HTML tag "sheets" is missing a closing angle bracket.

but I have no idea where these warnings come from:

HHC3004: Warning: alert_security.gif : The HTML tag "í›à“ál¥¸™l¢AÒ(X2L‚°„;" is not a valid HTML tag (it does not begin with an alphanumeric character).

any help would be great

lazaropi
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2006 at 8:49 PM
It would appear that the help compiler is trying to interpret the script and image files as HTML files. Your help compiler is the same version as mine but I haven't seen that problem. You might try uninstalling and reinstalling the HTML Help Workshop to see if that fixes the issue. If that doesn't help, you might post a message in the MSDN Documentation Forum to see if anyone else has ever seen this problem.

Eric
Dec 15, 2006 at 2:00 PM
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the problem continues.

I am now uninstalling help 2.0 (VS 2005 SDK as a matter of fact) just in case.

Later I will check MSDN documentaion forum as you suggested

Thanks

I'll post the solution if and when I find it.

lazaropi
Coordinator
May 17, 2007 at 3:59 AM
Edited May 17, 2007 at 4:01 PM
One cause for this was just discovered. It turns out it is a help compiler issue (HHC.EXE). If a folder in the path ends with something equal to or starting with ".help" or ".hlp" (case insensitive), it will generate the HHC3002 and HHC3004 warnings. Change or remove the period or use something other than "help" or "hlp" in the folder name and everything is okay.

Eric
Jul 13, 2007 at 8:45 PM
Edited Jul 13, 2007 at 8:57 PM
I also experienced the same problem of GIFs being interpreted as if they were html (by Microsoft Html Help Compiler, hhc.exe, version 4.74.8702.0). The path to the additional images in my help files had a xxx.hxxx directory name in it. When I changed the dot to a dash, everything worked fine (except now my entire naming convention and Subversion repositories need rebuilding (all because of a .h in a directory name! WTF?)

Example:

Breaks: C:\Documents and Settings\myname\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\CompanyName.HClientNameBeginningWithH\Documentation\AdditionalContent\Images

Does not break: C:\Documents and Settings\myname\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\CompanyName-HClientNameBeginningWithH\Documentation\AdditionalContent\Images

Sandcastle Help File Builder is excellent. The bug is clearly within Microsoft Html Help Compiler. One more thing while I rant, why do all the links on http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms670169.aspx and http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms669985.aspx to download Microsoft HTML Help 1.4 SDK (Friday 13th July 2007) link to HTML Help Workshop version 1.3?
Jan 13, 2009 at 9:29 AM
Found a workaround! Set the WorkingPath of SHFB to some temporary directory and all will work well!
On the command-line: -workingpath=C:\temp\CBS_Help will do the trick.