Feature Request - Documentation Source of Another Document Project

Topics: Developer Forum
Nov 6, 2011 at 4:09 AM

I am not sure how difficult this is, but it would sure be handy to be able to reference other document projects.

This would allow me to create a master document project that references the other smaller ones to create a combined document.

Maybe something like this is possible already, I have not been able to figure out how though.

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Do you mean like a solution in visual studio contains multiple projects??

I think that is a fantastic idea!

As an example To visualize this concept it would look something like.....

• My Company (as a solution like holder): the root project just containing some information about the company's products and how the documentation works etc
    • Library Projects
      • Asp Library's
      • Client Library's
      • Wpf, Silverlight and so on
    • Application (Product) Projects

And that's how I would expect my TOC to start out like but perhaps now looking at it an option for merging the namespaces would be better for me.

Is there a way to do this Eric?

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM

My problem is that the amount of documentation for the libraries I have is HUGE; 

I dont always need to regenerate everything, infact a good deal of it is pretty stable now... but the way it is, it is close to 8 hour run to generate just the CHM file, not to mention that it cannot be built from inside visual studio because of the persistent out of memory exceptions.

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2011 at 12:24 AM

You'd need to leave all of the other projects' working folders in place and the build would have to try and figure out how to merge all of this information at various points along the build in order to get the right output (link reference info, the TOC, etc).  This is probably best left to tools that can merge CHM files rather than trying to do it in the project build.  If producing website output, although not ideal, you could probably create a simple web page to link to the indivudal sites for the other help output.

To be honest, this is probably best accomplished using the Help 2 or MS Help Viewer output since you can build each of the various projects individually as needed and install them into a common collection where they are merged automatically.  SHFB supports the necessary project options to indicate where and how the content is merged and the Additional Reference Links plug-in can be used to generate the necessary link information to connect links between the project help output in the collection.  As such, it's not something I am considering addressing for Help 1 or website output.

Eric