An easy, newbie question - Text Editor

Topics: User Forum
Oct 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I am writing Project and Namespace documentation. I see in the SHFB documentation a Text Editor described. What I do not comprehend is how to get it to show up at all and, especially, how to use it to create Project and Namespace documentation. Is possible? I prefer to avoid MAML, but the docs lead me to believe that the Text Editor does not require MAML.

SHFB Ver 1.9.3.0

Jim

Coordinator
Oct 30, 2011 at 11:31 PM

If you are editing the project summary and/or namespace summary properties, they are just a simple text box in the property editor.  If you are using the standalone GUI, select the property in the Properties page and click the "..." button that appears to the right of the property value textbox when it has the focus to open the property editor.  In the Visual Studio package, select option to view the project properties and then select the Summaries tab.  See the Project and Namespace Summaries topics and their sub-topics for information about them.

Eric

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:58 AM

OK ..... but ..... I am currently using the Project and Namespace Summaries to create those summaries. My question was about the Text Editor which I see in the SHFB documentation, but nowhere else that I can find. It looks to be a superior tool for this kind of work.

Jim

Coordinator
Oct 31, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Typically, the project and namespace summaries aren't that long or complex (whatever would go in a <summary> element in the code) so using the full text editor isn't something I considered hence the simple text box controls for them.  The full editor is only used for MAML topics or other text files in the project and in the resource item and token editors.

Eric

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Thanks for clearing that up.  As it turns out, I am building the Project summary to give a reasonable overview of the project. The Project summay is a means to avoid "additional content". For both formatting and convenience (mine) it is written in html. It would be useful to have a good (or fair) editor for that purpose. I can and will use an external editor and then do a copy/paste for my purposes. I fully agree that the Namespace summaries <summary> should be short.

Thanks,
  Jim