Auto cross reference seealso from additional content

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Apr 29, 2008 at 12:33 PM
I want to automatically reference from a aditional content to the class documentation and vice versa without to modify my comments in code. e.g

I'm writing a HowTo for class MyNameSpace.Test.MyClass and adding a seealso to this tutorial which references MyNameSpace.Test.MyClass. Now I want the SHFB or Sandcastle itself to add a link to my HowTo in the seealso of the MyNameSpace.Test.MyClass class.

Is there a built in solution, or do I have to write my own plugin? Didn't find anything in this direction.
Apr 29, 2008 at 3:07 PM
Edited Apr 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM
Linking from additional content to namespace content is done using a <see> tag as you normally would in XML comments. However, you may need to more fully qualify the name to get a better match. See the Linking to Namespace Content topic under The GUI Project Manager | Additional Content Properties in the help file.

Linking from XML comments to additional content items requires the use of an HTML anchor (<a href>) tag. This is covered in the FAQ in the Additional Content questions. The next release of SHFB will support conceptual content which allows you to link to reference content from conceptual topics and vice versa using xlink items.

Whatever method you choose, you'll still have to add a link or tag of some sort to get a link to appear as such information just can't be inferred and added without some sort of hint as to what it is you want to reference.

Apr 30, 2008 at 7:43 AM
Thanks for the information. I got it allright from the sources you told me and the various discussionlists. So I'm thinking about a plugin, that is doing such a cross referencing. Wouldn't it be nice, if you don't have to alter the sourcecode comments each time a conceptual, additional topic is created and added to the helpfile?
Don't know if i'll get the time to do the work. When will the conceptual help approximately arrive. When will you make all the world happy with the release of with the feature?
Apr 30, 2008 at 2:48 PM
Edited Apr 30, 2008 at 2:59 PM
I'll release within a week of Sandcastle's release. Apparently, that's been delayed by about a week so it'll be a couple of week before SHFB is out.