Help file "Logo" images; How are they done?

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM

The help files provided for the various Sandcastle projects all have an image of a sand castle in the top left corner of the main panel.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and supposing that those docs were all created using SHFB.

The question arises: How is this done? I can't even find out how that top sub-panel is created, let alone how to make real changes to it.

As always, any help is most welcome.

If you're curious, management saw the builder docs and said "That's nice... do that too!" <Sigh>

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2011 at 10:44 PM

You can add a logo by adding the Post Transform component to the project's ComponentConfigurations property.  Once added, click the Configure button to edit the configuration.  You can specify a logo and its placement options on the Logo tab of the dialog box that appears.  There are various other build components available too.  These allow you to alter or extend the generated topics or the topic generation step in some fashion.  A set of plug-ins can also be added via the PlugInConfigurations project property to alter or extend the overall build process too.

Eric

Aug 5, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Thanks again Eric;

I am in your debt.

Best regards;

Peter Camilleri

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:01 PM
I guess the Post Transform component is deprecated now.

I get a red cross mark when I did the following to add a Logo to the header of my API documentation:
I have saved the image (Logo.bmp) in the folder where I have saved my .dll and .xml files.

I added the image (Logo.bmp) in the Project Explorer:
Right-clicking on the Project name in Project Explorer -> Add -> Existing Item.
Then I browsed to the image (Logo.bmp) to select it.

The image (Logo.bmp) appeared under Reference in the Project Explorer.
I changed the Build Action property of the image to Content.

Then in the Project Properties window, I selected Transform Args and in the Value field I entered Logo.bmp
I then Built it.

Could you please let me know where I am going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Suki
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2013 at 5:46 PM
The logo placement and options are set in the Transform Arguments project property category. See the notes for each transform property for information on how to set the logo and its placement. The logo file needs to go into a folder called icons\ in your project with a Build Action of Content.

Eric
Dec 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Hi Eric

Thanks for your reply.

I now realised where I was going wrong. Instead of creating the Icons folder in my SHFB Project, I created a folder in my D drive where I had saved my Sandcastle project.

Suki
Dec 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I am now able to view the image (Logo.bmp) in the header of my .chm output. However, I am not able to view the same in MS Help Viewer (MSHC) output.
Could you please help me to resolve this?

Thanks in advance,
Suki
Dec 30, 2013 at 6:47 PM
I would also like to know how to remove the Help Title (the default one being ,'A Sandcastle Documented Class Library') from the header.

This appears along with the Logo in the header of .chm file.
In MS Help Viewer (MSHC) file I am not able to view the change I made to the Help Title. It shows the default one, which is 'A Sandcastle Documented Class Library'.

Is there a way I fix this?

Suki
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM
If the logo appears in the Help1 file, it will appear in the MS Help Viewer content. Note that if using Help Viewer 2.1, the remove step can appear to finish before it is really done and if using the "replace" option to install updated content it might not always work. You can start the Help Viewer manually from Visual Studio and if you see your help content, remove it from there. Then reinstall it and you will probably see the logo.

Regarding the help title, it will default to the text you see if you try to clear it. If you really want it gone, add a Resource Items file to the project, open it for editing, locate the runningHeaderText entry and delete its content. Save the file, build your help and the title will no longer appear.

Eric
Dec 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Thanks a ton Eric. That worked.

Regards
Suki