msbuild starts SHFB and then ....

Topics: User Forum
Aug 4, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I have just installed Sandcastle Help File Builder and when I use it via the GUI everything works.

Now I want to create a post-build command in VS2010 Pro. 

IF "$(ConfigurationName)"=="Debug" Goto Exit
ECHO Building SHFB help file via MSBuild"$(SystemRoot)\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe"    /p:CleanIntermediates=True /p:Configuration=$(ConfigurationName) /p:Platform=$(PlatformName)     "$(SolutionDir)Doc\DCMarker.shfbproj"

:Exit

The only thing that happens is that The SHFB GUI starts and then nothing happens...

If possible I would like it to start the command line version of Sandcastle.

If not possible, then at least it should start the building of the help files and then exit the program

Now I pretty sure that I have done something wrong (usually has), but what?

// Anders

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Since the GUI starts rather than executing MSBuild, I'm going to assume your script lines above are incorrect and are actually joined as shown.  They should be on separate lines as follows:

ECHO Building SHFB help file via MSBuild

"$(SystemRoot)\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe" /p:CleanIntermediates=True /p:Configuration=$(ConfigurationName) /p:Platform=$(PlatformName) "$(SolutionDir)Doc\DCMarker.shfbproj"

Eric

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Aha! I knew that I had made some error!

I just discovered SHFB v1.9.3.1 Alpha (VS2010 Support) so I installed this version instead.

I know that is's an Alpha but it works pretty good!

The  only thing I have had problem with is when I use .proj file as Documentation Source. I get this error:

Error 1 BUILD FAILED: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. SHFB 0 1 Documentation1

If I Open the Documentation project in the external GUI it will compile OK

If I instead use the .dll and .xml files most things works. I  have not yet figured out how to use the ProjectSummary, but I can't get it to work in the external GUI either...

A big Thank You for creating this software!

// Anders