MSDN presentation style available on google code!

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 21, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I don't think anybody has mentioned this excellent initiative, on google code ( http://code.google.com/p/sandcastle-presentation/): a presentation style looking light the current MSDN.

Sample page (from the project): http://wiki.sandcastle-presentation.googlecode.com/hg/Images/Sandcastle-VS2010Branding-StoredNumber_Class.png

Anybody wanting to include this by default into SHFB / SHFB style extension ?

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Yes this presentation is known by some but I personally have avoided it as it conflicts with Microsoft Copyright policy!

Since SandCastle itself is developed by Microsoft personal the presentation styles they have included with Sandcastle are all they are willing to allow outsiders to have!

If you were to use this I would keep it in house and not made public on the net. Microsoft is not a company I want on my back..

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Sandcastle is open source and is distributed under the Ms-PL license so creating new presentation styles for it is not against their copyright no more than basing a custom style on one of the existing ones is.  A blog post just prior to the last release of Sandcastle implied that we wouldn't be seeing a VS 2010 style for a while unless somebody got ambitious and created it themselves.  Granted, the presentation style referenced above should also be distributed under the Ms-PL rather than BSD license but there's nothing against creating new styles.

Eric

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Would you include it in a future release of SFHB (provided that its author agrees with it and changes the license)? Personally speaking, I find the existing styles (vs2005, hana) very old-looking. Yet, a quick look at the mercurial repo on google code shows a lot of file and, not knowing how SC/SFHB work internally, it's difficult to estimate the degree of customization made by its author.

Coordinator
Jul 21, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Presentation styles don't depend on any particular build tool or environment.  It's a better fit with the Sandcastle Styles project as that was one the future goals for that project (additional presentation styles).  That way, it's available to all users of Sandcastle regardless of which front end they do or do not use and it allows it to change and get released independently of the build tools.  Since it's an entirely new style not derived from one of the existing styles, SHFB and some of its build components would need updating to be made aware of it though.  The same is true of any other front end including the default build scripts included with Sandcastle.

Eric