How to avoid complete rebuild...?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Apr 25, 2008 at 10:03 AM
Edited Apr 25, 2008 at 10:03 AM
I have just done a rebuild of my SHFB project, with some 40 namespaces and it took 5.5 hours !!!! Admittedly, this is a slow-ish machine with only 512M RAMm but I was wondering if there is any way to avoid a from-scratch rebuild after changing only a few files. If not, I'm sure such a thing would be useful; even on a fast machine, I can't see this duration being reduced to mere minutes. To test out formatting (I am new to this) I tend to omit most namespaces to get a quick build, then run the complete build overnight.

TIA

James.
Apr 25, 2008 at 12:11 PM
Edited Apr 25, 2008 at 12:12 PM
I also normally starve my developer PCs too, but admittedly the 512 MB can barely run a developer machine.

Now, I also have a project with so many namespaces. Instead of building the complete solution of all the projects,
I only build the project I am working on.
So consider creating a per-project help project to build each part separately, and build the complete
solution occasionally. You will loose the links, but could test the formatting.

Due to cross linking, incremental help build will not be reliable, and it might that quite a resource to
achieve a useful implementation.

Finally, this is what I do. I run my help builder over the network on a free PC at my workplace.

Best regards,
Paul.
Apr 25, 2008 at 1:29 PM
Paul

Thanks - sensible suggestions. I am now wondering if I could run a transform to create the separate project files from the shfb file - amazing the lengths one will go to to avoid the tedium of writing the content....!

Regards

James.