Reference not found - can I refer to folder (PrivateBinPath) instead of specific file?

Topics: User Forum
Jul 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM
Edited Jul 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Hello,

First many thanks for this project (and for the time spent on it) - it is so useful.

I ran into an issue when building my help file for a new sandcastle project.

Here is my context: this sandcastle project uses for its documentation sources a VS solution. This solution is quite huge (100+ csproj), with of course several projects referring to others. The design we adopted a long time ago was that 1/ a project should not refer to another project but to its corresponding assembly, 2/ to set "copy local" = false and instead to use a central repository for all dll (with several subfolders). At runtime, the application use an AppDomain with a few PrivateBinPath so that a dll can access its dependencies.

De facto, sandcastle has no knowledge of the directories referred by the PrivateBinPath. So a raw raw solution would be to add the references to all required dll in the sandcastle project. But that's not only heavy (there would be 60 or so ref to manually add), it would be also static and so subject to future bugs.

Hence, my question: is it possible for my references not a specific filename, but to use directory path and that SandCastle would try to load the necessary assemblies fro them (exactly as how an AppDomain works with its PrivateBinPath)?

I hope my issue is clear enough - any suggestion is welcome!

Regards

Jul 20, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Edited Jul 20, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Well, I'm replying to my own question: I've just discovered the "Wildcard Assembly References" plugin, provided with SHFB, which does exactly what I need. Nice job, folks!