Generate PDF from sandcastle

Jun 7, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Hello guys, 

are you aware of a plug in or other component that will build PDF from SHFB? I guess that it will be great addition for people dealing with documentation, since PDF format is often preferred way to display documentation.

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM

No such plug-in currently exists.  I'm not aware of any quick or easy way of generating a set of related HTML topics such as those generated by Sandcastle to PDF.

Eric

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Can I add this as a feature request to the Issue Tracker?

Coordinator
Mar 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Sorry, but as I indicated, I'm not aware of any way to convert a related set of HTML topics as produced by Sandcastle to a PDF.  As such, it's not a project I'm currently willing to tackle.

Eric

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM

All right. 

Thanks. Hope someone will do it soon enough.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:02 AM

I've done this by roundabout routes.

There are chm-to-rtf converters around. I used one called ABC Amber CHM -- http://processtext.com/abcchm.html.
It produces (messy) rtf. I imported this into MS Word, cleaned things up, and then exported pdf. It's quite a bit of work, but anything's better than re-typing what Sandcastle produced.

Option 2: one of the other documentation generators (I think it was doxygen) can output either rtf or latex. Then, again, after some cleanup, I got what I wanted.

I just noticed that the Amber CHM thing can produce pdf directly. I haven't tried it, but I can't image how it could give good results.

If one were sufficiently clever and industrious (I'm neither), I suppose it would be possible to write XSLT transforms that output rtf or Office XML or Latex or something similar.

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Yes, it is possible to do that. There are even some CHM to PDF converters that might work. However, as you mentioned, the things get messy and for large project (with 100k articles) it is not possible to fix them in some editor. Not to mention that most of the converters will break the images quality together with the layout.