Property HelpFileFormat ignored when executed with MSBuild

Topics: User Forum
Jun 3, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Hi all!

I've written a little MSBuild script to create the documentation of my project:

<Project DefaultTargets="RebuildDocs" ToolsVersion="4.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
  <Target Name="BuildDocs">
    <MSBuild Projects="path\to\project.shfbproj" Properties="HelpFileFormat=HtmlHelp1" />
  </Target>

<Target Name="CleanDocs">
    <MSBuild Projects="path\to\project.shfbproj" Targets="Clean" />
  </Target>

<Target Name="RebuildDocs" DependsOnTargets="CleanDocs;BuildDocs" />
</Project>

As you can see, I specified the help file format. The help file format is set to "MSHelpViewer" at the shfbproj file. When I run the script as follows, everything is fine:

msbuild buildDoc.msbuild /t:BuildDocs

A .chm file is created. But if I start the script like this:

msbuild buildDoc.msbuild /t:RebuildDocs

Everything works fine, but at the end, a .mshc file is created. Why? Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance,

M;

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Are you using the v1.9.3.0 refresh that was published on 03/26.  It fixes an issue where some command line property overrides were ignored.  If not give it a try, though I suspect you'd see the issue in the first instance too.  If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll look into it.

Eric

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Hi!

I'm sorry I forgot to mention: I used the last version of SHFB (v1.9.3.0, 03/26) with .NET 4.0.

M;

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Hi Eric!

Are ther any news about this?

Thanks in advance,

M;

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2011 at 11:22 PM

When ran as a subtask using the MSBuild task, it looks like the project is spawned as a second instance and the properties are passed to it.  Currently the SHFB build task picks up the first instance which doesn't contain the overrides.  I've fixed it for the next release so that it uses the last instance of the project which contains all the overrides.  I've checked in the change but haven't made a new release yet.  I don't have a time frame for when that might occur.

Eric

Jul 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Hi Eric!

I gave it a try and it works perfectly! Thanks a lot for fixing that issue!

M;