Error BE0043: Unexpected Error / error MSB6006: "HXCOMP.EXE" exited with code 2

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I have VS 2010 SP1, plus 1.9.3.0 SHFB.  Have run through the wizards via SHFBGuidedInstallation_1930.  DXROOT environment variable is correct, HtmlHelp2xCompilerPath project property also correct (pointing to Help 2.0 Compiler, as does the UserDefinedProperty 'ToolPath' in the Project Properties).

My project has ~ 33 assemblies.

There are 40,000 lines of LastBuild.log between the line with:

C:\p4\products\Common\Digimarc.Utilities\doc\Working\Build2xHelpFile.proj(62,5): error MSB6006: "HXCOMP.EXE" exited with code 2.

and

SHFB: Error BE0043: Unexpected error detected in last build step.  See output above for details.

THe last few of which are:

Info: Number of Topics: 15231.
  Info: Number of URLs: 15231.
  Info: Processing complete.
  Info: Number of errors: 1.
  Info: Number of warnings: 9725.
    Last step completed in 00:15:20.2331

As far as I can tell, the only 'error' is the HXCOMP.exe return value.  There are no "Error:" lines during Saving or Parsing, though there are ~9,000 warnings similar to:

Warning HXC7096: File C:/p4/products/Common/Digimarc.Utilities/doc/Working/Output/MSHelp2/html/P_L1ID_PortfolioArchiveImageServer_SimpleFTPActivity_Implementation_ResultantData.htm, Line 1, Char 3718: Name/Value of <MSHelp:Attr> tag contains double quote ( possibly " ), ignored: [Missing <summary> documentation for "P:L1ID.PortfolioArchiveImageServer.SimpleFTPActivity.Implementation.ResultantData"]

All of warnings I've investigated point to class members that have no XML commenting. 

Any idea what the problem is?  How can I resolve this error? 

FWIW, the project attempts to generate HTML Help 1, MS Help 2, MS Help Viewer and Website HelpFileFormats.  The CHM generated just fine.

Thanks in advance,

Howard Hoffman

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM

>  Info: Number of errors: 1.

Given that line, there must be an error message in there somewhere.  SHFB saw it when it dumped the output from the Help 2 compiler otherwise it wouldn't have reported it.  It looks for "Error HXC" as one of the indicators.  Try searching the log for that string.

Eric

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Thanks very much Eric - I am able to identity the error.

The issue is this:    Error HXC3029: The sum of the TOCTitle attribute, RLTitle attribute, and <TITLE> tag for a topic file exceeds 2000 characters.

This is due to a generated method that has (literally) 133 parameters.  The resulting concatenation of the <MSHelp:TOCTitle> Title attribute value, <MSHelp:RLTitle Title attribute, and <TITLE> tag is almost 3500 characters.   Is there a way I can merely exclude this one single method (it's in a Public class, with Public visibility) from the help generation, or something else to work around this gotcha?

Thank,

Howard Hoffman

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2011 at 8:33 PM

You can use the project's ApiFilter property to remove the method from the documentation.

Eric