Additional Content and Images

Topics: User Forum
Apr 2, 2008 at 5:22 AM
Hello,
How does the SHFB handle the additional help topics?
I have a folder, named "HelpTopics" in the same directory as the SHFB project file.
The "HelpTopics" folder contains a sitemap file, I created from a compile conceptual
help files. The folder structure is like this...

• Main Folder
    • SHFB project file
    • HelpTopics
      • html - contains the html files generated by the Sandcastle from the Conceptual topics
      • media - contains images used in the topics, also created by Sandcastle
      • scripts - contains the Sandcastle scripts
      • styles - contains the Sandcastle styles
      • icons - contains the Sandcastle icons
      • HelpTopics.sitemap - the sitemap file
    • etc - not relevant.

I set the HelpTopics.sitemap to the ContentSiteMap property in the SHFB.

The project build successfully but all the links to the media/images could not be resolved. Any help?

Best regards,
Paul.
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2008 at 3:04 PM
If you only specify a site map file and no additional content items for copying, it will only copy the HTML files referenced in the site map and they will end up in the root of the output folder. If you want to maintain your folder structure and/or copy additional files such as scripts and images, add the folders and files as additional content items to copy and specify the proper destination folder. The HTML files will be matched up with items in the site map and they won't be copied again. For example, you'd add entries for HelpTopics\html\. with a destination of html\, HelpTopics\media\. with a destination of media\, etc.

Eric
Apr 5, 2008 at 12:58 AM
Thanks for the information.

EWoodruff wrote:
For example, you'd add entries for HelpTopics\html\. with a destination of html\, HelpTopics\media\. with a destination of media\, etc.

Is manual settings the only way to handle this?

Best regards,
Paul.
Coordinator
Apr 5, 2008 at 1:39 AM
Edited Apr 5, 2008 at 1:40 AM
Yes. Each additional content entry has its own destination folder property. I'm not sure if there's a good way to do it purely from the sitemap file since there's no set base folder. Each sitemap entry could come from anywhere with no common base folder from which to determine an appropriate destination folder off of the root in the output folder. I suppose I could let you specify a common base folder and if something doesn't match it then just copy it to the root output folder like it does now. Anything that starts with the common base folder would be copied to a matching sub-folder under the output folder.

Eric
Apr 5, 2008 at 3:03 AM
Edited Apr 5, 2008 at 3:04 AM
Thanks for the reply and the information.

EWoodruff wrote:
Yes. Each additional content entry has its own destination folder property.

OK, I have done that manually and it works perfectly. I only needed to set the html and media folders since the others are common to both the API and Conceptual helps.
I will update my article on the conceptual help with this information, which I think would be sufficient since it involves only
three steps. If users ask for more, I will discuss ways to automate it.

Best regards,
Paul.