LINQ and SCHFB

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM

What would be the best practice for using Xml comments and SCHFB  to build documentation files for LINQ classes that were auto-generated by the LINQ designer?

I use the public classes generated by the designer as business object returned to the client via WCF service and I'd like to give other developers an API to work off of during development. I know I can do it after the fact, once my data model is stable, but I'd like to have something in the interim. If I have to regenerate a table that has changed, and I have already placed Xml comments into the designer code file, then those will be lost.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Coordinator
Mar 18, 2011 at 7:29 PM

You can manage the comments in a standalone XML comments file.  You can add that to the SHFB project and it would merge the comments in when the project was built.  It would be similar to managing namespace summary comments in a standalone file.  There's a question in the FAQ topic that covers how to generate a file with the required elements using the IntelliSense component as a starting point (I have an assembly without code and without an XML comments file for which I'd like to create documentation and/or an Intellisense file. How can I do that?)

Eric