Method arguments not being generated?

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Hello all,

I'm using SHFB to generate help documentation for a .NET 4 class library. It generally works well, but I just finished up a bunch of XML comments for a class and when I generated the help file using Sandcastle I saw that, while all the class's methods were listed in the documentation "Methods" list for the class, some methods were not showing the arguments (only the method name) while others were. If I click on one of the methods that is missing its arguments to see the method info page, the argument is listed. Any reason why this happens? I've been copying and pasting XML comments for the methods...could that have something to do with it?

Thanks in advance,

L

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Is it that the member comments aren't showing up?  If so, do the methods in question contain generics in the parameters?  If so, there's currently a problem in the way SHFB is setting an MRefBuilder configuration setting for .NET 4.0 assemblies that is causing the issue.  I'll be publishing an update sometime this weekend that fixes it.

Eric

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Hi Eric,

there are no generics in the argument list. What's happening is the following: if I have methods declared like "MyMethod1(Object someObject)", "MyMethod2(Object someObject)" and "MyMethod3(Object someObject)" in my class and then generate the help file via Sandcastle, the help file seems to be generated without any trouble. If I then view the help file and click on the class name to pull up the page listing the class members, in the section that lists the methods, some methods are listed without the arguments like this:

MyMethod1(Object someObject)

MyMethod2

MyMethod3(Object someObject)

Strange, no?

- Lionel

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Are the methods in question overloaded?  If so, that's normal.  The topics for each overload include the parameter to differentiate them.  Non-overloaded methods don't include the parameters in the TOC entries, the topic titles, or the member list pages.

Eric

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Aha! That explains it. Thank you so much for the quick response Eric!

-Lionel