Removing the Header Border

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 24, 2011 at 11:20 PM

I apologize up front.  I likely could find this answer with enough background on the programming language behind Sandcastle which appears quite rich, but I've not got the resources at present.  I'm just trying to reproduce exactly the kind of output generated for Visual Studio 2010 help.  Using the Sandcastle Help File Builder (which has been a real godsend, thank you), I'm most of the way there.  I'm marginally familiar with CSS sheets but can't find where the gray linear gradient brush between the header and the body of the current page is defined.  In my output there is a border about 10 pixels high between the header and the scrolling region of the content of the page.  In the Visual Studio 2010 help pages there is only one scrolling region.  Can someone give me an idea how to modify the styles used by Sandcastle to better match the VS2010 output to get rid of the header/body division and just have a single scrolling area with no border between the two?

Thanks

Donald Roy Airey

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2011 at 11:42 PM

To modify the page layout and get rid of the non-scrolling header, you'll need to modify the XSL transformations.  You will most likely need to update the scripts used in the output since they do look for specific items in the header area to implement the non-scrolling area.  It may also break logo support in the SHFB Post Transform build component if you use it as it too looks for specific elements in the header area in order to insert the logo.  You may be able to get by with just replacing the gradient image file with one that contains a single white pixel and just leave the fixed header in place.  The image file is in the icons\ folder in each presentation style folder (gradient.gif).

Eric

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM
Edited Feb 25, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Eric,

Thank you for the reply.  Reaching that far into the guts of the transformation is likely beyond my abilities.  Perhaps I am approaching this the wrong way.  I simply want my output to look like the output from Visual Studio 2010.  It doesn't using the templates provided with Sandcastle.  Line up any Sandcastle output with the current VS2010 help and you'll see the differences immediately.  The fonts are different (I can probably handle the CSS to change this), and the VS2010 scrolls the entire page: there's no split screen.  There are other changes but you get the idea.  What am I missing?  Are we waiting for some style sheets or templates that will format the output so that when I integrate it with the existing help, the pages will appear seamless (in their layout and format)?

Sincerely,

Donald Roy Airey

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2011 at 2:08 AM
Edited Feb 25, 2011 at 2:12 AM

You're not missing anything.  There simply hasn't been a presentation style created for the VS2010 look.  Microsoft runs its output from Sandcastle through another process that converts it for use with MSDN.  That part hasn't been made public and they never created a presentation style specifically for Sandcastle that would give us the VS2010 look.

This blog post for the June 2010 release implies that we might see it in the next version.  Guess we'll have to wait and see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sandcastle/archive/2010/06/25/sandcastle-june-2010-release.aspx

Eric

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Eric,

OK.  I guess it isn't beyond my skills.  If you remove the call to 'SplitScreen' from the scripts you get a single scrolling region (same as VS2010 help).  In addition, apparently you need to keep the table where the gradient.gif bitmap is displayed, but if you cut out the guts of the table (the TD tags), you basically create an empty table that is used as a placeholder for something internal to the Help File Bulider process.  Anyway, the bottom line is that I've got rid of the border and the redundant scrolling region for the body.

Thanks.  It's helpful to know that I shouldn't be poking around or searching.  Do we anticipate that someday these style sheets will available from MS or do we wait for a community member to invest the time?

Don