TOCExclude

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Mar 21, 2008 at 2:17 AM
Hello All.

I understand that additional content can be included in the help file, but excluded from the TOC by means of the <!-- TOCExclude --> comment in the HTML,, provided that a SiteMap is not defined for the project.

Is there any way to get this behavior if there IS a SiteMap defined on the project? I have already tried simply inserting the comment to see if it would work, to no avail. Using the SiteMap makes it much easier to manage the TOC, but I have quite a few large walk-through code samples to include, and I don't want them cluttering up the TOC.

Any ideas, besides ditching the SiteMap and using file structure to define the TOC?

Thanks.

Mark.
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2008 at 2:58 AM
If you don't want them in the TOC, you can leave them out of the site map and just include them as additional content entries sort of like you would for images (use the Add File or Add Folder option on the Additional Content dialog itself). They'll get copied to the output folder and since a site map is defined, it will take precedence so they won't show up in the table of content. Also, if you want to create a folder in the TOC that doesn't have a file associated with it in the site map, you can leave the source filename blank.

Eric
Mar 21, 2008 at 5:57 PM
Thanks Eric for the quick reply.

That worked perfectly. Thanks again.

I did run across one strange bit, though. The help file says to use this:

<a src="./Project_OV.html">Link Text</a>

Well, that didn't work. This did:

<a href="./Project_OV.html">Link Text</a>

I see from other discussion posts that this (href) is the intended usage. Probably just an oversight in the help file?

Thanks again.

Mark.
Coordinator
Mar 21, 2008 at 7:31 PM
I copied the example for the img tag and forgot to change "src" to "href". Thanks, I'll fix it for the next release.

Eric
Mar 21, 2008 at 8:51 PM

EWoodruff wrote:
I copied the example for the img tag and forgot to change "src" to "href". Thanks, I'll fix it for the next release.

Eric

Yep, that's about what I figured. One thing I've learned over the last few Help projects I've worked on is that the devil is in the details. Although SHFB is making things a LOT easier. Thanks.

Since you mention the next release, I have another quandary I've meaning to ask you about.

The "About" box on my installation says Version 1.6.0.2. I had thought that I had the most recent version, but I downloaded the Version 1.6.0.4 installer and tried to run it, but it came back with a "Newer version already installed" error dialog. I'm wondering if I need to uninstall what I've got first. Any suggestions?

Mark.
Coordinator
Mar 22, 2008 at 7:14 AM
I'm using the Visual Studio installer project to create the MSI. It won't look past the build part of the version number (1.6.0). Since the version matches up to that point it thinks it's already there so it won't uninstall it and proceed. As such, you have uninstall the prior version first using Add/Remove Programs and then install the latest one. If you're interested, 1.6.0.6 is available as a beta. It contains a few more fixes and some new features.

Eric
Mar 22, 2008 at 11:02 PM
I've been meaning to ask you if you have any plans for integrating MAML support for structured additional content. Right now I'm building the MAML into HTML and simply adding that as Additional Content into my project. I've barely gotten started, and there's exactly zippo for documentation or explanation about the process from Microsoft, but I can pretty well navigate my way through the conceptual example in the latest Sandcastle release, and initial results are very promising.

Any thoughts?

Mark.
Coordinator
Mar 23, 2008 at 2:04 AM
I'll probably take a look at it after the next release of Sandcastle.

Eric