Suggestion: XML build logs

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 8, 2008 at 8:30 AM
SHFB is really a nice tool, and the console application makes it very convenient to be included in a build process such as CruiseControl.NET.

Yet, as a minor drawback, the LastBuild.log is just a plain text log. CruiseControl.NET has the ability to merge the various XML outputs produced by the various build tools, in order to produce a customized build report (not sure about the other build servers, but it's probably the same situation). It would be really nice, if there was an option format as XML the SHFB output.

Best regards,
Joannès
http://www.lokad.com sales forecasting
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2008 at 8:17 PM
How would it be formatted? The log is just an accumulation of the output of each step as it runs.

Eric
Mar 9, 2008 at 7:33 AM
Hi Eric,

Since many build tools are merging XML logs, I think the first step would be to wrap the log into a tag <SandcastleHelpFileBuilder/>. That would allows to design an XSL stylesheet that display selectively the SHFB logs within the build log file (that contains the output of many other build tools).

Among, the other things that comes to my mind would a "version" attribute, such as

<SandcastleHelpFileBuilder version="1.6.04">
output of each step - snipped
</SandcastleHelpFileBuilder>

That way, if the build output ever evolves to something more structured, it would be possible to nicely handle the evolution.

Joannès
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2008 at 6:31 PM
Edited Mar 9, 2008 at 9:41 PM
Okay, I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: This turned out to be really simple and I've got it implemented. The next release of the GUI will contain an XSL transform that it'll use to format the log so that it's more readable. Thanks for the suggestion!

Eric
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2008 at 6:33 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.