Syntax Filter with No Specific Syntax

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 8, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Hi,

I am currently trying to use sandcastle to generate help with no specific syntax.

I am using SHFB, so i just select NONE syntax at syntax filter property.

But then again, when the help is generated, it also shows no information on parameters, i just want no syntax to show, but parameter information and returnValue description should be shown.

Is there any ways to configure that way?

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2010 at 4:46 PM

The parameters, return values, etc. are all rendered by the "syntax" XSL template.  If there are no syntax sections, all of the processing in that XSL template is skipped.  It's possible you could rewrite the template to output those other sections without the syntax section itself but I'm not sure if there are any dependencies that would cause it to break.  You'd have to dig into the XSL to find out for sure.

Eric

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM

I see, can you tell me which XSL template is this one you are talking about? I searched on all of then and didn't found it...

I found out latter that syntax were being rendered on a component (C# code) on Sandcastle project...

Thanks in advance!

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM

See <xsl:template match="syntax"> in main_sandcastle.xsl.  The part that renders the actual syntax sections (the bit you don't want) is <xsl:template name="syntaxBlocks"> in utilities_reference.xsl.

Eric