Problem with BuildReferenceTopics.proj

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 29, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Hi everybody,

I try to use SandCastle Help File Builder but I failed. I search tutorial on web but i found only with e previous version on SHFB.

I create a new projects.

I put on "Documentation Source" all my XML and DLL file. (I can't use the solution file because SHFB can't read some path "directory\sub\..\..\bin\file.xml")

And lauch the built.

50 minuts later (very longtime) i have this error : 

Exception non g‚r‚eÿ: OutOfMemoryException.D:\Projects\Porject\Documentation\Help\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj(27,5): error MSB6006: "BuildAssembler.exe" exited with code -532459699.

Last step completed in 00:45:37.4981

</buildStep>

<buildStep step="Failed">
SHFB: Error BE0043: Unexpected error detected in last build step.  See output above for details.

Some body can help me. (I am a french guy and I am not very good in english, please talk me with easy word ^^)

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2010 at 1:54 AM

The walkthroughs are in the help file that comes with SHFB and are also available online.  An article with a more indepth review of using Sandcastle and SHFB is also available at Simple-Talk.  Regarding the out of memory exception, it could be either that your PC doesn't have enough memory or that the project(s) you are documenting are large and are causing the BuildAssembler tool to consume too much memory.  If you are trying to document a large number of assemblies, you may need to separate them into two or more projects.

Eric

Sep 30, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Hi !

I have on my computer 3Go RAM. That's right my project is very big, and large documenting, but it seems Microsoft use Sand Castle to produce Framework documentation, and my project is not too big ^^.

I see the documentation online and there is just one article talk about the OutOfMemoryException. I did what he says and now I wait the end of compilation.

Thank's for your help, I'll keep you informed.

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2010 at 3:10 PM

One other thing I forgot to mention is that if you are building multiple help file formats at once (the HelpFileFormat property has multiple selections), it can also increase memory usage significantly.  Building one help file format at a time can work around that issue.

Eric

Oct 1, 2010 at 8:07 AM

I have checked just one Format (in HelpFileFormat property) => HTMLHelp 1

And i have again the OutOfMemoryException.

Thank's for your help.