Problem with Hierarchical Table of Contents Plug-In - Latest version

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Hi All,

I am trying to generate chm file using Hierarchical Table of Contents Plug-In with sandcastle help file builder version 1.9.1.0. After including this plugin, I get the following error

<buildStep step="CombiningIntermediateTocFiles">
Combining conceptual and API intermediate TOC files...
    Last step completed in 00:00:00.0000
</buildStep>
<buildStep step="Failed">

SHFB: Error BE0065: BUILD FAILED: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I checked by removing the plugin and build succeeds.

Also i checked with the previous verision (1.8.0.3), by trying to to generate the same chm file including the plugin, and that also works.

But the previous version is not compatible with .Net 4.0 , hence i cannot use that.

Does anyone has any fix for this?

Thanks

Rajat

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2010 at 7:54 PM

There are some issues with HTML additional content in the latest release.  If you are using HTML additional content files, create a sitemap if you haven't done so already to define their layout in the table of content and explicitly mark one as the default topic in the sitemap file.  That should work around the issue.  The preferred method for such additional content is to convert it to MAML and use a content layout file.  They do not have this problem.

Eric

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.  but i am not using any HTML additional content. I am just using the assemblies to create Help File.

After experimenting with the properties, I found that if I set RootNamespaceContainer to true and RootNamespaceTitle to something., then i am able to generate the help file. although with the previous version these two properties were not required to be set.

Rajat

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM

If you can send me a small example that demonstrates the problem I'll look into it.  My e-mail address is in the About box in the GUI and in the footer of the pages in the help file.

Eric