How to generate comments for enum

Sep 13, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Hi Eric:

I did what you said in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/devdocs/thread/4530307F-CEEC-4C62-8BF1-AA98AE04BB5B

however, I didn't get the discription for enum's value in the result help files, I used SHFB in Chinese.

/// <summary>
    /// A test enum
    /// </summary>
    public enum TestEnum
    {
        /// <summary>The first value</summary>
        ValueOne,
        /// <summary>The second value</summary>
        ValueTwo
    }

The result just has "A test enum", missing the other.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Same problem here.

I did get the enum description when I used PresentationStyle to be either hana or prototype, but not with vs2005.

Shai

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2010 at 7:06 PM

There is a bug in the VS2005 style that prevents the enum description from showing.  The Sandcastle Styles patch fixes that bug and several others.

Eric

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Thank you!

It does fixes the problem.

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:56 AM
Edited Nov 2, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Hi,

I am facing similar problem. Can you please help me by mentioning how Sandcastle Styles fix the issue and how to install Sandcastle Style patches?

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Use the latest release of SHFB that includes the guided installer.  Go through the steps and make sure you install the patch.  As long as you do that, you should see your descriptions.  If you aren't seeing them, be sure that you have a summary element on the enum declaration and each of its members as shown in the example in the first post.  Be sure that you do a full rebuild of your assembly's project and make sure that the appropriate configuration and platform are selected in SHFB (i.e. Debug or Release and AnyCPU or x86, etc. to match the one you build for your assembly).  Also check the XML comments file that was built to be sure that the expected comments are in it for SHFB to use.  After rebuilding the help file, the comments should be there.

Eric