Source Control

Topics: Project Management Forum
Sep 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Hello Eric, I was wondering if there was a reason you are not using Source Control.

The reason I am asking is that I have a heavily customized Version of SHFB including a Visual Studio Project Package and over the past weeks I have been working to catch it up to the current version and that is proving to be an impossibility.

With Source Control (especially on codeplex) this would be as easy as checking the changes (exapmle: http://shfb.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/74794)

Are you using Source Control somewhere else?

Would be good to nudge you into using source control.

Regards, Regan

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2010 at 2:39 AM

I haven't found the need to source control my home projects, mainly because I'm the only developer, so I haven't considered using it here for SHFB either for the same reason.  I doubt I'd be inclined to check it in more often than with each release so it wouldn't be any different than the code that's available on the download page.  You may get a list of the files that changed but it would more often than not still be a lot of work to merge your changes.  If you think your changes have appeal to others, you could submit them as a patch and I can merge them into a future version of SHFB.

Eric