BE0043 error in BuildReferenceTopics

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 31, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I'm experiencing a strange problem when trying to build some sandcastle projects.  I have three separate projects (not in the same solution) - A, B, and C.  Each project has its own msbuild project file associated with it, along with an "Api" task that I'm using to build the documentation.  That task simply looks like this:

<Target Name="Api" DependsOnTargets="Compile">
	<Message Importance="high" Text="Building API docs for %(Configuration.Identity) ..." />
	<MSBuild Projects="$(DirConfig)\api.shfbproj" Properties="Configuration=Debug" />
</Target>

The api.shfbproj file was built with the Sandcastle Help File Builder, and is essentially the same for each project.  The Sandcastle docs all build fine for projects A, B, and C on my development machine (with VS2008 and VS2010 installed, along w/ the 2.0, 3.5 and 4.0 .Net frameworks).  

On a different machine, a build server with VS2008 and Windows SDKs of 6.0A and 6.1 installed, the documentation for project A compiles fine, but projects B and C fail.  The failure is occurring in the BuildReferenceTopics step.  Here is the output in the LastBuild.log:

Warn: ShowMissingComponent: Missing <summary> documentation for M:log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender.AddMapping(log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender.Level2EventLogEntryType)
  Warn: ShowMissingComponent: Missing <param name="mapping"/> documentation for M:log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender.AddMapping(log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender.Level2EventLogEntryType)
  Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic M:log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender.Append(log4net.Core.LoggingEvent)
  Warn: ShowMissingComponent: Missing <summary> documentation for M:log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender.Append(log4net.Core.LoggingEvent)
  Warn: ShowMissingComponent: Missing <param name="loggingEvent"/> documentation for M:log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender.Append(log4net.Core.LoggingEvent)
  Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic P:log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender.ApplicationName
  Warn: ShowMissingComponent: Missing <summary> documentation for P:log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender.ApplicationName
  Info: BuildAssembler: Building topic M:log4net.Appender.EventLogAppender.GetEntryType(log4net.Core.Level)

Unhandled Exception: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
     at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
     at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.IndexedDocument.GetContent(String key)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.IndexedDocumentCache.GetContent(String key)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.CopyFromIndexComponent.Apply(XmlDocument document, String key)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ForEachComponent.ApplyComponents(XmlDocument document, String key)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ForEachComponent.Apply(XmlDocument document, String key)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.BuildAssembler.Apply(IEnumerable`1 topics)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.BuildAssembler.Apply(String manifestFile)
     at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.BuildAssemblerConsole.Main(String[] args)
  Info: CachedCopyFromIndexComponent: Used "reflection" cache entries: 4
  Info: CachedCopyFromIndexComponent: Used "comments" cache entries: 2
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\api\velir-twitter\Working\BuildReferenceTopics.proj(27,5): error MSB6006: "BuildAssembler.exe" exited with code -532459699.
    Last step completed in 00:07:44.9963

SHFB: Error BE0043: Unexpected error detected in last build step.  See output above for details.

I haven't been able to find any documentation about what might be going wrong - can anyone shed some light on what might be happening here?

Thanks

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2010 at 8:30 PM

It looks like you're using the cached index build components.  There were changes in Sandcastle that require that the old cache files be deleted with the new release.  If not already deleted, they may be causing a problem.  You can find out where to find the cache files and delete them in the release notes in the Breaking Changes section.

Eric

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:18 PM

That was exactly the issue.  I just removed the cached build components, and everything works great now.  Thanks for your help!