Compability broken? Sandcastle version 2.4.10520.1/2.6.10621.1

Topics: Developer Forum
Aug 31, 2010 at 3:25 PM

When I try to build the output says:

SHFB: Error BE0036: Your version of the Microsoft Sandcastle documentation compiler tools is out of date (found '2.4.10520.1' but expected '2.6.10621.1').  See the error number topic in the help file for details.

I have installed the 2.6.10621.1 patch ( but I'm still getting the same error.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:28 PM

You've probably installed the Visual Studio SDK which installs an older copy of Sandcastle and replaces the DXROOT environment variable.  See the SHFB installation instructions topic (last part of the Requirements section) as it describes how to fix this issue.



Aug 31, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Thanks for the quick answer. However after following the steps for fixing the problem I still get the same Error.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Have you rebooted?  You may need to in order to get the environment variable changes to take effect.  The only other cause would be that you've specified an invalid path in the project itself via the SandcastlePath project property.



Sep 3, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Yes, I did reboot after changing the environment variables. The SandcastlePath project property is also set correctly. That appears not to be the problem. After all the output does say that the Sandcastle tools have been found.

Finding tools...
Found Sandcastle tools in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Sandcastle\'
    Last step completed in 00:00:00.0030

But It insists its the wrong version even though I updated it. Where does the application check for the Sandcastle version?

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:16 PM

SHFB checks the version number of MRefBuilder.exe found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Sandcastle\ProductionTools.  You can run it from the command line to see what version it is reporting.



Sep 4, 2010 at 6:22 AM

Read this blog post for installation instructions, if it helps you.

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Thanks for all the answers.

I got it running on a 32bit machine running Windows 7 and vs 2008 (vs. 2010 on the other computer). I'll find out what the cause of the problem was on the first computer tomorrow.

Sep 7, 2010 at 8:21 AM

It turns out the patch simply didn't update the MRefBuilder.exe properly. After deinstalling and running the 2.6 installer (which for some reason I didn't use in the first place) the MRefBuilder.exe has the right version and everything works fine now.

Thanks for the great support!