Issue with adding html file

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Aug 17, 2010 at 3:21 PM
Hi, I have done the following steps (Note: I have much more complicated project but I have succeed to shorten steps to this below): 1. Make new SHFB project, 2. Add some .dll and .xml to Documentation Sources, 3. Right click on solution -> Add -> New Item -> Html Page, 3. For HelpFileFormat set: MSHelp2, 4. Build the project. At the end of building SHFB reports: "SHFB: Error BE0043: Unexpected error detected in last build step. See output above for details". What is the cause for this error? If I don't add Html page (step 3) then I don't receive any error! And if I choose MSHelpViewer for HelpFileFormat then building passes well but VS2010 wouldn't install .msha (it throws some exception) - so this file format is also broken. I have tried with an older version of SHFB (I think 1.8) and that version didn't reported any error. Unfortunately, that version doesn't have support for MSHelpViewer. My PC configuration is: - Windows XP SP3, - Sandcastle-June 2010 Release (Version 2.6.1062.1), - SHFB 1.9.1.0, - SCPatches_Jun2010_2_6_10621_1_Rev1, - VS 2010, - VS 2008, - VS 2008 SDK, - etc. Regards, Josip
Coordinator
Aug 17, 2010 at 7:16 PM

The current release has some problems with HTML additional content files caused by changes in how the TOC is produced.  Adding a sitemap file with an explicitly marked default topic may work around the issues.  Since support for HTML and sitemap files has been deprecated for a while and the MS Help Viewer format cannot support them anyway, I'm recommending converting such files to MAML topics and using a content layout file which does work as expected and is supported by MS Help Viewer format.  An HTML to MAML converter is available at the Sandcastle Styles project site.

Eric

Aug 18, 2010 at 9:38 AM
I have converted HTML pages to MAML and now it all works as expected. Thank for your help... Josip