Include XML files?

Jul 13, 2010 at 2:32 PM
Hello! This has been a great tool to build help files... but I am a little confused on one point... I created a project and added a list of DLL's as Documentation Sources. I did NOT add the matching XML file because in the help file it says "When adding a DLL or an executable, if an XML comments file with the same name is found, it is also added to the project automatically." But it did not seem to use it.. the generate help file did not contain the text found in the xml file. But if I add the XML file manually to the Documentation Source list, it is used. Which is the correct procedure to use? Specify it or should it have found it on its own? Thanks Harold
Coordinator
Jul 13, 2010 at 7:37 PM

In order to find the XML comments file automatically when you add the assembly to the project, it must be in the same folder as the assembly and must have the same base name with a ".xml" extension (i.e. MyCompany.MyAssembly.dll and MyCompany.MyAssembly.xml).  If they have different base names, you need to add them to the project too.  Note that this is only when you add it to the project, not at build time.  If you added and then remove the XML comments files, you won't see the comments in the built help file.  If you have a Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 solution or project file, you can add that as the documentation source and SHFB will figure out what to include in the build.

Eric