SHFB failing on MSDN web service calls

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 11, 2008 at 2:49 PM
Everything has been sweet with the SHFB, but just over the weekend it has stopped working for me.

I'm running 1.6.0.2 with sandcastle version 2.3.8, a pair that has been working for the past month or so.

Over the weekend, my release build (that auto generates the website using SHFB) failed. I tried it a couple more times this morning and still no go. Checking the log it appears that the MSDN web service is returning unexpected values. Here's the exception details from the log:

Warn: ShowMissingComponent: Missing <summary> documentation for T:Core.Design.StringDictionaryEditorUI

Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (1, 7058). ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: getContentResponse, soap:Body, soap:Envelope. Line 1, position 7058.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnclosedElements()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadEndElement()
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadEndElement()
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderContentService.Read14_getContentResponse(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderContentService.Read22_GetContentResponse()
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.ArrayOfObjectSerializer1.Deserialize(XmlSerializationReader reader)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at ContentService.GetContent(getContentRequest getContentRequest)
at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.MsdnResolver.GetMsdnUrl(String id)
at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.ResolveReferenceLinksComponent2.Apply(XmlDocument document, String key)
at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.BuildAssembler.Apply(IEnumerable`1 topics)
at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.BuildAssembler.Apply(String manifestFile)
at Microsoft.Ddue.Tools.BuildAssemblerConsole.Main(String[] args)
Last step completed in 00:04:13.7171

I have two questions:
1) Is there a fix? And if not,
2) Is there a workaround?
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2008 at 4:16 PM
Edited Feb 11, 2008 at 4:16 PM
The MSDN web service acts up every now and then. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about it except wait to see if it gets corrected and if not, report it in the MSDN Documentation forum. While waiting, just set the SdkLinkType property to None so that the build will complete. You just won't get links to any online content.

Eric
Feb 13, 2008 at 2:32 PM
Thanks for the help.