Access denied - build fails. Or has it?

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jun 9, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I have 'successfully' completed a build of my project's CHM help file using SHFB, but the build reported that it has failed. When I looked at the log I found the following at the end:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<buildStep step="CompilingHelpFile">
Compiling HTML Help 1 file...
[C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\MSBuild.exe]
Build1xHelpFile:
  Microsoft HTML Help Compiler 4.74.8702

Compiling g:\Matrix 5 branches\Matrix 5.2.7 Performance Playground\Matrix5\Help\Working\Output\Matrix 5.2 API.chm

Compile time: 16 minutes, 54 seconds

37,483 Topics

752,038 Local links

241,170 Internet links

0 Graphics

Created g:\Matrix 5 branches\Matrix 5.2.7 Performance Playground\Matrix5\Help\Working\Output\Matrix 5.2 API.chm, 70,507,541 bytes
  Compression decreased file by 488,488,959 bytes.

Last step completed in 00:17:02.6315
</buildStep>
<buildStep step="CleanIntermediates">
Removing intermediate files...
    Last step completed in 00:00:21.5470
</buildStep>
<buildStep step="Failed">

SHFB: Error BE0065: BUILD FAILED: Access to the path '6feb6fa9-95d5-59e3-ed80-24d156c3a657.htm' is denied.

</buildStep>
</shfbBuild>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The file in question '6feb6fa9-95d5-59e3-ed80-24d156c3a657.htm' was left behind in <buildfolder>\Help\Output\Working\html . I can't imagine what else might have been locking it.  After the build, but before closing any other applications, I used the handy 'WhoLockMe?' tool to see what was locking it - nothing is.

It's a non-critical error in the sense that the page represented by this file has been built into the final CHM file, but the error will probably mess up things when I incorporate the process into our nightly build (using Team System and TFSBuild).

Can anyone explain why this might be occurring, and what I can do about it?

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2010 at 4:15 PM
Edited Jun 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM

The most likely cause is a virus scanner that's working its way through the working folder as SHFB finishes up.  It's probably got a lock on the indicated file as SHFB is trying to delete it.  You could try temporarily disabling virus scanning a doing a build to see if that is the cause.  To work around the issue, you can set the CleanIntermediates property to false and remove them later either manually or with some other process.

Eric

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM
Eric,

Thanks - I think that was probably it. I've switched off the virus scanner on the build agent, so the problem shouldn't reoccur there.

Regards,

Neil.

On 9 June 2010 16:15, EWoodruff <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

The most likely cause is a virus scanner that's working its way through the working folder as SHFB finishes up.  It's probably got a lock on the indicated file as SHFB is trying to delete it.  You could try temporarily disabling virus scanning a doing a build to see if that is the cause.

Eric

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SHFB@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SHFB@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com