Using Sandcastle with Team Build

Topics: Developer Forum
Jun 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM
Edited Jun 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I want to differentiate between existing Nightly and CI builds such that the Nightly build includes building documentation and CI builds don't. They share a common TFSBuild.proj build file (Visual Studio 2008 Team System does not seem to allow you to specify alternatives for different build definitions) so rather than have different files (TFSBuildNightly.proj and TFSBuildCI.proj) I have to find another way.

If I create new build definitions from scratch I can specify a parameter to pass, and use this parameter to make the GenerateDocumentation target conditional on the type of build being done. My problem is that the build definitions are already in place and under some else's control, and although I can edit them I am not allowed to introduce new ones. Editing them in VSTS does not offer the opportunity to specify the command line options so this route appears to be closed to me. UNLESS I can edit the build definitions outside VSTS. Is this possible?

Failing that, can anyone suggest a better way of achieving what I want - to generate documentation files when a Nightly build is done, but not whenever a CI build is done? The answer may be blindingly obvious but please bear with me - I am a newbie at this. :-)