Locate button not working in Help 1.x

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 30, 2008 at 9:49 PM
Hello,
I'm using Sandcastle Help File Builder to build API reference content and some additional HTML topics into a Help 1.x file (.chm).

The Locate button that appears on the Help file toolbar appears grayed out and doesn't work on most topics, but it does work on a few topics. I haven't figured out a pattern as to when it does and does not work.

This button enables the Help 1.x keyboard shortcut for quickly switching between topics (ALTUP ARROW and ALTDOWN ARROW), so I'd like to get it working.

Any ideas about what is happening?

Thanks,
Adam
Coordinator
Jan 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM
Edited Jan 30, 2008 at 10:35 PM
The Locate button just syncs the TOC with the current topic. Alt+Up and Alt+Down just move to the previous or next topic in the TOC. The Locate button is disabled if the topic you are viewing is not physically located in the help file. For example, if you've set the SdkLinkTarget to something other than Blank so that MSDN topics (i.e. .NET Framework base class types and members) open in the help viewer or you've got anchor tags in additional content that navigate to online content, the viewer will display the page but because it's not part of the help file, the Locate button will be disabled.

Eric
Jan 31, 2008 at 2:54 PM
I've set SdkLinkTarget to "None", but the problem topics are additional HTML files I've added, not online topics that are outside the help file. All of the topics are ones that I've added as part of directories and that I have set up in the TOC.

Strangely, some of them work and some do not, but I don't see any differences between them. So how can I ensure that all of my additional content files are physically located in the help file?
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2008 at 5:14 PM
If you can send me an example of the additional content that isn't working along with a project to build it, I'll take a look at it. If it's related to additional content only, I can use the Additional Content plug-in to build it so I shouldn't need the assemblies. My e-mail address is in the About box and in the footer of the pages in the help file.

Eric
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2008 at 2:57 AM
This appears to be a limitation with the CHM viewer. It doesn’t like spaces in the folder names or the file names. Removing the spaces from both enables the Locate button.

Eric