VersionBuilder doesn't honor API Filter?

Topics: Developer Forum
Apr 15, 2010 at 4:06 AM

I've got two DLLs, one is version 2.8 of our product, the other is version 3.0. I'm using SHFB 1.7. Here's the simplest way to reproduce the behavior I'm seeing:

1. I create a SHFB project named 'v28' and add the 2.8 DLL and XML file. I open the API filter and deselect the 'Product.Internal' namespace.
  2. I create a SHFB project named 'v30' and add the 3.0 DLL and XML file. I open the 'PlugInConfigurations' window, select 'VersionBuilder', hit 'Configure' and reference the 'v28' project. I add appropriate version numbers before closing the 'PlugInConfigurations' window and open the API filter (still in the 'v30' project). I deselect the 'Product.Internal' namespace. I then build the project. The built project has version information, as expected and configured. No issues there :)

However, there is a 'Product.Internal' namespace in the API topic. All the classes in this namespace are listed as appearing in 'Product 2.8'... this has me stumped because I've told the API filter to explicitly exclude the 'Product.Internal' namespace in both the 'v28' and 'v30' projects. If I remove the 'v28' project from the 'VersionBuilder' plugin the 'Product.Internal' namespace disappears. It appears as if the API filter is not being applied to the 'v28' project from the 'v30' project.

I don't want the 'Product.Internal' namespace appearing. Am I doing something wrong? Or alternatively, is this a known issue or workaround?

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2010 at 1:39 AM

I haven't had a chance to try and duplicate this issue.  I'll let you know what I find when I do.

Eric

May 5, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Hi Eric,

We've tested it using SHFB 1.8 and can't reproduce the problem we were having.

Is it likely that we will be able to fix this problem with our current installation of SHFB 1.7?

We are planning to upgrade to SHFB 1.8 later this year, but for internal reasons we need to stick with SHFB 1.7 for the next few months. It would be nice to have this issue fixed before then.

-Will

Coordinator
May 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM

I don't fix bugs or make changes to prior releases.  I can make the code for version 1.7.0.0 available to you and you can compare the code for the version builder plug-in to the current release to see what changed.  However, that may prove difficult as the project format changed between the two.

Eric