Creating Docs from MSBuild project

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Hello,

in earlier versions of SHFB there was a SandcastleBuilderConsole.exe tool that is now not included any more. From that time I have a MSBuild project file (.proj) with this code:

<Target Name="Documentation">
  <Exec Command="&quot;$(SHFBROOT)SandcastleBuilderConsole.exe&quot; HelpProject.shfb" />
</Target>

This doesn't work any more of course. I read in the documentation that it's possible to run MSBuild to start SHFB, but I didn't see a code sample like the above in order to do that in a MSBuild project file like before.

Is there a way to achive this?

Thanks

Karlo

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:11 PM

See the Building Help Projects Outside the GUI help topic.  It contains the information needed to build a project from the command line using MSBuild.  You can also use the MSBuild build task to execute it from within a project.  The Generating Documentation with Team Build topic contains an example of that.

Eric

Jun 21, 2010 at 3:28 PM
Has anyone got this to work successfully, as documented? I'm finding that although I have followed the documented method to the letter (as far as I can see) for some reason after the build the XML files are left in the source folder whereas the dlls are moved to the drop folder, so MSBuild/Sandcastle cannot find them. Has anyone else had this experience? If so, how did you overcome it? TIA Neil