Merging Content Files

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 10, 2010 at 8:13 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Hello,

I am trying to merge my content hierarchy into another content hierarchy under the arbitrary topic but can't see the easy way to do that. Is it supported? If no then do you think that it is a good feature for future release?

For the moment I tried to create another hierarchy duplicating topic identifiers but instead of merging the result is duplicate root topics.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I assume you are refering to the content layout files for MAML topics.  You can have multiple content layout files and, by setting the SortOrder property in the Project Explorer, control in what order their content is merged into the overall TOC.  Currently, you cannot merge one file's content into another file as a sub-topic though.  You could perhaps simulate this behavior by putting the root topic in the separate layout file with the sub-topics below it.   You'd have to split the content layout into two or three files (one for the content before the imported content, the file with the imported content, and perhaps a third file with the content after the imported stuff).  The sort order of the content layout files would then determine where the root topic appeared in the TOC when merged with the other files.

I think I can see how this might be useful.  Can you describe your scenario in more detail so that I can see what it is you are trying to accomplish?

Eric

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:09 AM
Edited Mar 11, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Thanks for the quick answer.

I am generating a portion of MAML documentation on the fly (based on some external XML files) during build using custom msbuild task for that. Actually I generate docs about events logged by our application based on logger designer XML. I generate MAML topic files, content file and project file that enlists all above as ItemGroup members. So what I am trying to achieve is to merge generated branch under a given node in my primary content layout file. For the moment I was able to do that with minor changes in source code but this was just a temporary solution since I would like to follow the CodePlex published releases that's why I started the discussion.

Alex