Localization in MS Help2

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:44 PM

IS sandcastle provided the support for the localization for MS help2.(HXS) files.

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM

SHFB allows you to select a language using the Language project property but it's up to you to localize the Sandcastle resource files and your own content. See the Localizing Language Resource Files topic in the SHFB help file for more information.

Eric

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM
Hi Eric, Can you please provide some more information about how i can localized the Class Reference document using the sandCastle. And also Sandcastle supports the VS2010 documentation file format. Thanks Velu
Coordinator
Mar 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I haven't had to localize a help project so I can't really comment on how you might accomplish it or best practices to follow.  I would assume that you would have to store your XML comments in files separate from the source code so that they could be localized.  If not, then perhaps there would be some process that could compare the comments to see what changed between releases for the default language to keep them in synch and list topics that needed updating in the other localized copies of the comments files.  You might get a better response by asking about localization in the Sandcastle project discussion forum.

As for the VS 2010 documentation format, SHFB can produce an MS Help Viewer file but Sandcastle doesn't provide full support for it yet so the files won't work correctly.  The current suggested approach is to build a Help 2 file and convert it using the migration tools available from HelpWare.net.  We'll have to wait to see if proper support is included in the next release of Sandcastle.  As for look and feel, there is no presentation style supplied with Sandcastle to match VS 2010 and, based on comments I've seen elsewhere, there might not be one supplied.

Eric