Website builds but not .chm

Topics: User Forum
Oct 19, 2006 at 4:04 PM
More specifically, the .chm does build but ALL the links are no good.
Where should I look to fix this?
Love the builder though, great stuff. Looking forward to being able
to use custom tags.
Oct 19, 2006 at 7:14 PM
What are you using for the ProjectLinks and SdkLinks properties? Check to make sure that they are set to appropriate values for building the CHM file. If left to their default values, they should work fine.


Oct 19, 2006 at 7:39 PM
The "ProjectTypeLink" is set to local, and
the "SdkTypeLink" is set to MSDN.
All classes, methods etc show in the left pane, but
the right pain shows only "the page cannot be displayed"
regarless of whats clicked :(
Oct 20, 2006 at 1:11 AM
Are you talking about the website or the CHM file when you say the right pane doesn't appear. If it's the website, there are some known issues with the default scripts supplied with Sandcastle. If you haven't done so already, apply the file available on the download page. There are some current issues with the VS2005 style that are not included in it yet. There is also an issue where the Index.html page may contain a backslash instead of a forward slash on the default topic which apparently FireFox does not like but IE doesn't mind. That will be fixed in the next release.

For CHM files, be sure the path to the help file does not contain any special characters such as the pound sign (#). The HTML help viewer doesn't like them and won't load the pages. A patch to the OS several months ago also changed the security zone or something for help files so they may no longer load off of a network share. Try moving the file to your hard drive or a different folder and see if it works. Also try it on a different machine to see if it works. Also, I thought I read somewhere that the latest IE7 RC1 may break help files so if you've got that installed, try it on a machine with IE6.

That's about all I can think of as I haven't seen this issue anywhere else.

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:18 PM
After much head banging (without AC/DC), keeping "intermediates", manually compiling/examining the .hhp files and finding no errors, I was about to give up.
The I noticed the folder the .chm file was in, it included in its path C#.
I moved the file to root directory and it displayed!
Looks great! Still a bit P.O.ed on all the wasted effort though.
Thanks :)