NamedURLIndex Keyoword

Topics: User Forum
Dec 18, 2007 at 3:03 PM
Hi All,

Why I can't define those two keywords inside my *.topic pages?

<MSHelp:Keyword Index="NamedURLIndex" Term="HomePage"/>
<MSHelp:Keyword Index="NamedURLIndex" Term="DefaultPage"/>

When, will SHFB will support them?

Thanks,

Alberto
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2007 at 3:08 PM
I'm assuming these are just Help 2 keywords. If so, create an <xml> element within your topic and put them in there. It's not a matter of SHFB supporting them, they're just copied into the topic if the <xml> element exists. The help compiler does the rest. See The TopicFileTransform Property under The GUI Project Manager | Additional Content Properties in the help file for an example topic.

Eric
Dec 18, 2007 at 4:05 PM
Hi Eric,

I did like this in my topic file:

<xml xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt">
<MSHelp:Attr Name="AssetID" Value="Test" />
<MSHelp:Keyword Index="A" Term="IndexTerm" />
<MSHelp:Keyword Index="NamedURLIndex" Term="HomePage"/>
<MSHelp:Keyword Index="NamedURLIndex" Term="DefaultPage"/>
<MSHelp:Attr Name="TopicType" Value="apiref" />
<MSHelp:Attr Name="TopicType" Value="kbSyntax" />
<MSHelp:Attr Name="Locale" Value="en-us"></MSHelp:Attr>
<MSHelp:Attr Name="Abstract" Value="An abstract for the file" />
</xml>

But I get the following error:

Error HXC3030: File C:\devDept\Documentation Projects\Help\Working\Output\Additional Contents\splash.html, Line 4, Char 60: Index NamedURLIndex is not defined in any HxK file, but following keyword is declared as in index NamedURLIndex: HomePage
Error HXC3014: Cannot add a keyword NamedURLIndex to an automatically generated (sorted) index HomePage. Memory allocation failure or malformed link text.
Error HXC3030: File C:\devDept\Documentation Projects\Help\Working\Output\Additional Contents\splash.html, Line 5, Char 63: Index NamedURLIndex is not defined in any HxK file, but following keyword is declared as in index NamedURLIndex: DefaultPage
Error HXC3014: Cannot add a keyword NamedURLIndex to an automatically generated (sorted) index DefaultPage. Memory allocation failure or malformed link text.

The two keyword I am trying to define are used by MS dexplore.exe to locate the default page to display after loading the help 2 file.

Thanks,

Alberto

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2007 at 7:23 PM
It's probably related to the fact that the Help 2 project only defines index files with the names A, K, F, N, S, and B. I don't know much about Help 2 so I don't know if there's some significance to the "NamedURLIndex" name. If not, use one of the others and it should work. If not, you'd need to modify the project template files to add the information for the new index type. If there is some significance to it and you can supply the necessary information, I can add it to the next release.

Eric
Dec 18, 2007 at 8:48 PM
Eric,

I am not an Help 2 expert too, but this is an important issue because when you open the compiled help 2 files one of the most famous browser (dexplore.exe) doesn;t point to the default/welcome page and displays an empty page.

I paste some info:

Named URL Index - This is required if you want to define HomePage, DefaultPage at the project file level. Typically the Index Name is "NamedURLIndex". Remember all these Index file settings can be defined within the topic files, using XML data islands, instead of in .HxK Index files. In most cases however it is best to create a NamedURL Index file.

Typical items in the Named URL Index are -- HomePage, DefaultPage, NavFailPage, AboutPageInfo, AboutPageIcon, FilterEditPage, HelpPage, SupportPage, SampleDirPage, SearchHelpPage. Most of the time HomePage and DefaultPage are all you will need to use. See your MS Help SDK documentation for further information.

Let me know if you grasp something more.

Thanks,

Alberto
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2007 at 10:03 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.