Additional Contents and Help Index

Topics: User Forum
Dec 13, 2007 at 3:28 PM
I'm running on the October CTP and related SHFB and when I generate my .CHM file, none of my additional contents pages appear in the index. I only see entries for the topics generated from assemblies, and I can't find anything obvious that would prevent this. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could be missing?

Do note that they do show up in the TOC and I can find them through the search tab.

Thanks,
Ross
Coordinator
Dec 13, 2007 at 5:37 PM
Additional content files aren't indexed in any way for CHM files. You can add an XML data island in the HTML to get index support for HxS files but CHM doesn't work that way. It puts the index terms in a separate file used by the help compiler. There's an open work item to add support for it and it'll probably get implented as a plug-in though I don't have a timeline for when it will get done.

Eric
Apr 23, 2008 at 9:33 PM
I've used SHFB to produce some CHM files that contain additional content only. As additional content does not get indexed, the Index tab of the CHM contains no entries. At this stage I'm actually not particularly interested in generating an index. But, until it becomes possible to index additional content, it would be nice if the index tab were to be automatically excluded from files that only contain additional content. Similarly, if and when SHFB is enhanced to allow additional content to be indexed, the index tab could be still be automatically excluded from files that only contain additional content if an index has not been defined for the additional content.

Simon
Coordinator
Apr 23, 2008 at 11:28 PM
The next release supports indexing. You just need to add one or more <MSHelp:Keyword Index="K" Term="[term]"> entries to the XML data island in each additional content topic. The vast majority of help files will contain an index so I'm not sure there's much benefit in having an option to hide the index tab for the few that don't.

Eric
Apr 24, 2008 at 1:09 AM
Thanks, Eric. Good indexes are expected for the help files of commercial software products and support for indexing will be very welcome. But in this case I'm just providing a bit of in-house documentation. Setting up an index can be a lot of work because you have to specify each word or phrase that you want to index in each topic. That's why I'm not interested in making an index. If users cannot find what they want in the table of contents, they can do a search: the help file is not very big anyway.

So I'm not convinced I would necessarily be in a particularly small minority in not always wanting to index additional content topics.

Simon
Oct 7, 2009 at 2:11 PM
EWoodruff wrote:
The next release supports indexing. You just need to add one or more <MSHelp:Keyword Index="K" Term="[term]"> entries to the XML data island in each additional content topic. The vast majority of help files will contain an index so I'm not sure there's much benefit in having an option to hide the index tab for the few that don't.

Eric

Could you give the detailed instructions on how to add these entries to the XML data island?

For example, we have the page:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<topic id="2d5df6ce-ce10-4282-9f65-6985d5ed2c4d" revisionNumber="1">
  <developerConceptualDocument xmlns="http://ddue.schemas.microsoft.com/authoring/2003/5" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">

<introduction>
      <!-- Uncomment this to generate an outline of the section and sub-section
           titles.  Specify a numeric value as the inner text to limit it to
           a specific number of sub-topics when creating the outline.  Specify
           zero (0) to limit it to top-level sections only.  -->
      <!-- <autoOutline /> -->
      <para>      
      The current user manual provides the detailed information on .....
      </para>  
      <token>autoOutline</token>

</introduction>

<!-- Add one or more top-level section elements.  These are collapsible.
         If using <autoOutline />, add an address attribute to identify it
         and specify a title so that it can be jumped to with a hyperlink. -->
    <section address="Overview">
      <title>Overview</title>
      <content>
        The current section provides an overview of the project.   
      </content>
      <sections>
          <section address="Scope">
              <title>Project Scope</title>
              <content>
                  <para>

</para>
              </content>
          </section>
          <section address="Components">
              <title>Structure</title>
              <content>
                <para>
                    The solution of the project includes ...
                  </para>

<para>
                  The following figure shows the FrontFlow components of the PoC solution:
                  </para>
              </content>
          </section>          
          </sections>

<relatedTopics>           
          <link xlink:href="417ad122-b0d8-4ae4-b8b3-dcc0c12c0d0b" />
    </relatedTopics>
  </developerConceptualDocument>
</topic>

Where in the code should I place the mentioned entries?

I would appreciate your help!! Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Adding index keywords directly in the file only applies to HTML topics.  With MAML conceptual topics, the index keywords go in the entry for the topic in the content layout file.  Select the topic's entry in the content layout file editor and look at its properties.  You'll see a HelpAttributes property where you can add additional help attributes for the topic and a Keywords property where you can add index keywords.  See the Topic Files help topic for more information.

Eric

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:55 AM

Thank you very much for your quick response!